Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Into the Valley of Death

I just saw the film Running on the Sun. This film documents the trials and tribulations of 40 athletes as they run the 135 miles of the Badwater Ultramarathon through Death Valley in July in 1999 and explores the motivations behind this seemingly masochistic contest.  This film, as well as Bicycle Dreams, offer fascinating insight into the the extremes of cycling and running and the limits of human endurance (bith physical and mental). the As tortuous as it sounds, I am kind of interested in participating in this event but my wife informed me in no uncertain terms that I am forbidden from applying.  She cited that I sweat like hell and don't do terribly well in the heat.  This is true.  The compromise is that I can do the Fall Death Valley Double Century.  It is a ride of 196.9 miles and 9000' of climbing.  It is still a challenge but the cooler temperatures of late October will help a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment